Last updated 21 February 2016.
Write a detailed list of what I want to do, and what the next steps are
- Make list of Pathfinder scenario
- recovery disk for windows 10 laptop
- rsync of get_iplayer folder on OSMC to bigdisk. THINK THIS IS DONE BUT NEED TO CHECK
- Backing up my SquidPi. THERE IS A EXT4 PARTITION ON THE PHOTO-STICK. CURRENTLY I AM PUTTING AN IMAGE THERE INSTEAD. I HAVE FORGOTTEN THE COMMAND TO CREATE THIS AUTOMATICALLY. And I don’t even know whether this is working.
- Emails of weather forecast from RPi
- Change Catherine’s RPi so it’s pointing at the right place
- Take out the shared USB stick
- Write a post describing the network
- the Trinket…then I can do other things with it (microphone so it does something to music)
- wires to motors for RPi robot
- blinky lights Neopixel strip: I have order some capacitors (26 Dec). The half breadboard works with strandtest_dad3 and 3 AAA batteries. tHE double wire thingy is data; the other 2 are power and ground.
- Slow-motion camera: scaletrix?
- Stop-motion camera: ??
- James wants to do electronics. I have downloaded the new Jessie image which has GPIO Scratch on RobotPi. So we can do some electronics.
- RPi robot: set it up with ultrasound so that it can find its way round. Maybe a camera too so it can be streamed.
- RPi and face recognition robot in the kitchen.
with Scratch and Python as well as looking at the BBC Micro:bit. For the older pupils we will also do some activities with the Raspberry Pi
26th January: have sent new Scratch project and new Python project
2nd February: I am not around. Same as above. Hand out microbit letter.
9th, February. Micro bit, maybe Raspberry Pi.
Pathfinder Beginner’s Box
Grrr…I didn’t get to download everything
For logging into Router (might have to install telnet package on Linux):
For configuring Squid on RPi:
It says it will take 10 hours!!!
So Squid has difficulty with https requests, and i can’t get the normal OpenDNS filters to work (which I could customise). Hmmmm.
This didn’t work for me:
Plug the Noobs SD card in.
Use dmesg or other to find out which device the SD card is under (for me, it was sdf).
sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdf bs=512 conv=fsync seek=1 count=19
Then take the SD card and put it back in again.
This comes from here.
I got a Mearm for Christmas. Now I have 4 working servos, I have been able to complete it.
I thought the instructions were fine. As suggested, I didn’t fix the claw until I had the servos working. Then, I set the servo controlling the claw to 90% (closed), and then I screwed in the arm to the servo whilst the claw was as closed as I could get it. Inevitably, the claw was not quite closed as I was screwing in the arm, but it closes fine once I set the servo to 95%. The other thing that does not quite work is the way the base connects to the “hip” servo: the bottom of the “box” that contains the arm doesn’t quite sit flat, and, when the arm is sticking out, the bottom of the box bends down to touch the actual base unit, causing it to stick slightly when the hip goes round.
To get the MeArm working, I used this post, and the code at his GitHub site here.
My first attempt, using ForToffee’s arm_cmd.py, was terrible. Requests to move the servos were not being turned into movement (or even any attempt to move the servo), the actual movement of the servos did not match the requests, and when I asked it to move the shoulder, the hip would move too! I then made two alterations, but I can’t tell you which of the 2 changes was the important one 🙂 First, I stopped using the GPIO unit for Python, and switched to using ServoBlaster. ForToffee said he needed to do this for his more demanding code that was looking for joystick movements; I think I needed it just for simple arm movement. Second, I loosened almost every screw.
And it now works a treat with ServoBlaster. The servo on the grip (#1) moves from 95% to about 80%; the servo on the hip (#5) moves from 0% to 100% with 180 degrees of rotation; servo #4 goes from 40% to 100%; servo #3 goes 55% to 100% (and I can’t tell which is the shoulder and which is the elbow!). So far, I have been typing the ServoBlaster code in interactively, but I am pretty sure I can amend ForToffee’s code so we have 8 keys which each move a servo by a small increment in either direction.
Hooray! A Raspberry Pi project that works!